Recognised By: THE PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA & PREMIER/GOVERNER & CHIEF COMMISSIONER OF POLICE OF VICTORIA      Victoria's first Melbourne Monthly Newspaper since October 1993

Breaking News

Death sentence awarded to 'Nirbhaya' gang rapists

NEW DELHI, 9 JULY. The men convicted of raping and torturing a medical student on a moving bus in Delhi in 2012 will hang, the Supreme Court ruled today, confirming its earlier decision and rejecting the request of three of four convicts for their sentence to be reduced to a life term.

The top court was asked to reconsider its own ruling in a review plea; the convicts are left with one more legal option of challenging their sentence before they appeal to the President for mercy.

Here are the top 9 points in this big story:

1. "There is no new material to review our order," said three judges led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, on the review petition of Mukesh, 29, Pawan Gupta, 22 and Vinay Sharma, 23.

2. The fourth death row convict, Akshay Kumar Singh, 31, has not filed a review petition against the Supreme Court's judgement in May last year.

3. "People of our country have got justice. We hope the process is completed soon and the rapists get death, and society is safer for women," said the woman's mother, Asha Devi, on the court ruling that brings the convicts one step closer to execution.

4. A lawyer for the convicts, AP Singh, told reporters that "injustice" had been done to the convicted murderers - using the Hindi word for "boys" to describe them - and the court had caved to public and political pressure.

5. The Supreme Court had last year upheld the decisions of the Delhi High Court and the trial court sentencing the four men to death for raping the young woman, who died 16 days after the savage assault.

6. In its judgement, the Supreme Court had said that the "brutal, barbaric and diabolic nature" of the crime could create a "tsunami of shock" to destroy a civilised society.

7. The convicts appealed to the court to review their sentence, saying it was "cold-blooded killing in the name of Justice". The court agreed to hear their request in November last year.

8. The gang-rape of the 23-year-old student, who was returning home with a friend after watching "The Life of Pi" on December 16, 2012, provoked rage and shock across India and led to big changes to laws on sexual crimes against women.

9. Of the six accused, bus driver Ram Singh killed himself in his prison cell. The youngest accused, just days short of 18 when he committed the crime, was sent to a juvenile home, from where he was released after a three-year term.

The woman came to be known as "Nirbhaya" or fearless. Her parents have said that all the rapists should be hanged at the earliest, including the youngest.

The brutal attack took place on 16 December 2012, when 23-year-old Jyoti Singh who was a premedical student, physiotherapy intern, and her male friend, Awindra Pratap Pandey were returning home at night after watching a movie, ‘Life of Pi’ in Saket, South Delhi. The two had never thought that boarding an off-duty bus will be the biggest mistake of their life. They boarded at Munirka for Dwarka. There were only six other persons in the bus including a driver of the bus; the five other men were the friends of the driver. One of the six told the duo that the bus would go in the same direction towards their destination. Awindra and Jyoti both boarded a bus. Then what happened next shook the whole nation as well as many other parts outside India. The accused began to molest Jyoti. The accused also had mayhem with her 28-yearold friend when Awindra tried to step in to save his friend, the accused beat him up and knocked him down with an iron rod. After beating him, the accused turned to rape the young girl. The evil men dragged her to the backside of the charted bus. The bus was moving in the Capital when six men were raping a girl in the moving bus. The men had beaten her savagely with the rod. That rod was a rusted, L-shaped rod that used with a wheel jack.

Jyoti in mayhem left the bite marks on the three accused men.

After beating and raping her, the group of the six men threw the pair outside from the moving bus. However, they also tried to drive the bus over the girl, but victim’s male friend pulled her aside on time. The victim suffered grievous bodily harm due to the terrible attack. As per her medical reports, she had suffered serious injuries to her abdomen, intestines, and genital organ.

One of the passersby called the Delhi Police and informed the police about two helpless victims. They were injured and partially clothed. At around 11 p.m. the Delhi Police took them to the nearest hospital. She underwent emergency treatment and then she was transferred to a ventilation. Doctors said that the grievous harm was caused by a blunt object, that was actually an iron rod. There were only 5% intestines left inside her body. The doctors after checking her medical reports said: “rod was inserted into her and brought out her intestine also. That is probably the only thing that explains such severe, damage to her intestines.

When Jyoti underwent her fifth surgery, her remaining intestines had to be removed, doctors proclaimed that she was stable but in a critical condition, on 19 December 2012. Two days later the government made a committee of physicians for nation’s brave daughter to give her a best medical treatment. On 25 December 2012, she was still in a critical condition. Doctors told that she had a fever 102 degree to 103 degrees. She had a sepsis a life-threatening condition because her body responded to infection injuries which caused internal bleeding. On 27 December 2012, Jyoti was transferred to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore. During her flight to Singapore, she had a cardiac arrest. The doctors in the flight tried to stable the condition of the victim, but her heart stopped pumping for around three minutes. On 28 December, the chief executive officer of Mount Elizabeth declared a brain damage. When people all around the world were praying for Jyoti life, she was fighting for her life. On 29 December 2012, at 4:45 a.m. she died in hospital in Singapore.

Victim’s mother said: “That day she didn’t call back after leaving home. Usually, she would call us and inform as soon as she’d reach the place. It was half past 8, and we hadn’t hear from her. We tried calling her, but she didn’t answer the phone.”

When the couple got to know about her daughter, they became speechless. Her mother said: “What was in front of our eyes was hard to even imagine. We didn’t know how how to react for the first few moments.”

Victim’s father said: “She looked at me once and started crying.” He then added, “I couldn’t be with her for long.” Her father also shared her dream.

The gang rape of 23-years-old Jyoti has become a defining case in Indian history.

Her mother said: “We never thought something like this could ever happen to us.” she added “It shook the entire nation and led to public outrage on the streets. After seeing all that, we felt humanity still prevails on this earth.” The parents of victim wanted rapists to be hanged.

Jyoti Singh was born and brought up in DelhiCapital. Her parents belong to a small village in Ballia district, Uttar Pradesh. Her father works in a private company in Delhi.

Awindra Pandey, the 28-year-old male victim, belongs to Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh and lives in New Delhi.

Intesols - Intelligent Solutions for all businesses

Local News

View your local news
Local news


Cricket, soccer, footy, tennis and more

About us

About us
About Us Us

Contact Us

Get Contact Details
Contact Us